(U) The importance of maintaining a reduced nuclear force and the emerging conventional ballistic force as a combat and cost effective weapon is recognized by Air Force Space Command (AFSPC) mission area plans and Space and Missile Systems Command (SMC) development plan has having the technology needs in Advanced Guidance technologies and Astrodynamics.
(U) The goals of Advanced Guidance are:
1. (U) global Positioning System (GPS) Range Standardization/Safety Technology;
2. (U) development of new miniature systems to lower range costs 30% by replacing radar systems and enhance safety with greater accuracy and reliability by FY01;
3. (U) GPS accuracy enhancements;
4. (U) to increase cost effectiveness, missile navigation, testing accuracy with improved GPS/INS coupling by FY98;
5. (U) development of Precision Fiber Optic Gyroscope (PFOG) with low loss integrated optics and fiber couplers and Flexured Mass Accelerometer (FMA) with open loop, two back-to-back microwave resonant cavities by FY99. Decrease reliance on high cost, high precision inertial measurement systems with micromechanical updates on accelerometers and gyros by FY01;
6. (U) to fly the Missile Technology Demonstration III (MTD III) during FY01 to gain data on multiple penetrator warheads delivered on an ICBM;
7. (U) to develop anti-jam antennas;
8. (U) to integrate plasma physics with design; and
9. (U) to develop and test materials for antenna windows.
(U) The goals of Astrodynamics are to:
1. (U) improve differential correction (DC) accuracy 90%;
2. (U) improve propagation accuracy at the end of the prediction period by 90%;
3. (U) demo integrated performance of high accuracy lasers and astrodynamics algorithms to precisely locate and illuminate spacecraft;
4. (U) demo next generation initial orbit determination, DC and propagation for space surveillance;
5. (U) show deficiencies in current operational DC and propagation which could be eliminated; and
6. (U) demonstrate capability to maintain independent high accuracy catalog of selected satellites (20-30 objects).
|Target Acquisition for Combat||Target Acquisition for Combat Operations|
|Target Background Dissemination||Target-Background Discrimination for Surveillance|
|Space and Missile Technology||Space and Missile Technology|
|TECHNOLOGY- RDT&E||SPACE TECHNOLOGY|
(U) 21 November 1997
(U) Road Map Production Date: 18 June 2001